Lift 2.5: New and Noteworthy
Lift 2.5 Changes
The following is a community effort to collect some of Lift 2.5 "new and noteworthy" changes. For a references to all changes see the Milestone and Release Candidates section below.
High Level Changes
- Scala 2.10
- This is the first version of Lift with Scala 2.10 support.
- Lift 2.5 is also available for Scala 2.9.
- Opening up of the code base
- The Lift Modules have been opened up. Previously part of the Lift core build and release, these libraries have been moved to a new repository and organization, allowing external contributions and an independent release cycle.
- The core of Lift now accepts pull requests for small code changes.
- Comet improvements (named actors), features around browser-to-Lift JSON processing.
- Improved CSS selector transformations using typeclasses.
- jQuery bundling changes. Either include jQuery yourself, or use the Lift jQuery module to do it for you. The details of this change have their own page, but in summary, we decided not bundle jQuery with Lift directly.
- Unified resource lookup (i18n), giving you the option to override Lift's core messages
- Lots of improvements to the Comet support
- Occasional deadlock with Jetty fixed: there's now finer-grained synchronization added to LiftSession to resolve this
- LiftScreen now supports very flexible CSS styling
- Updated Lift templates
- FlexMenuBuilder - allows you to build very flexible sitemaps
- JAR files built against Scala 2.9.2
- Making lift-couchdb a module Factoring out lift-couchdb from framework making it a proper lift module.
- Mongo Java driver was updated to version 2.10 which adds support for Mongo 2.4.
- Upgraded Squeryl to version 0.9.5, which adds support life cycle callbacks. You can now add "afterUpdate" and similar in your Schema. Check out their release notes for other changes.
- Lift now uses specs2 for tests.
- Update Scalaz library to Scalaz 7.
Milestone and Release Candidates
The following is a reference list to all new Lift 2.5 features and bug fixes.
- Release candidates
Lift 2.6/3.0 around the time of Scala 2.11.
2013/11/20 Lift and BREACH: How Lift protects you, and how you can protect yourself
2013/11/08 The Lift team is proud to announce Milestone 2 of Lift 2.6.
2013/10/11 The Lift team is proud to announce Milestone 1 of Lift 2.6.
2013/07/15 A list of things new and noteworthy in Lift 2.5
2013/06/28 The Lift Cookbook is now available from O'Reilly.
2013/06/25 The Lift team is proud to announce version 2.5.1 of Lift.
2013/06/2 The Lift team is proud to announce version 2.5 of Lift.
2013/05/12 The Lift team is proud to announce version 2.5-RC6 of Lift.
2013/04/17 The Lift team is proud to announce version 2.5-RC5 of Lift.
2013/04/03 The Lift team is proud to announce version 2.5-RC3 of Lift.
Entwicklung von Web-Applikationen mit Lift und Scala by Thomas Fiedler and Christoph Knabe.
Lift In Action by Tim Perrett is available in print and eBook format.
Lift Web Applications How-to by Torsten Uhlmann is available in print and eBook format.